Sunday 13 March 2011

Uncle Bulgaria? Or Aunt..?



Another fantabulosa discovery, and another worthy exhibit for the Museum of Camp, methinks...



Azis is certainly unique - a Bulgarian gender-bending pop star with a dozen top-selling LPs behind him, he has his own television chat show, was an unsuccessful Eurovision entrant, stood for political office (without success), and was elected "the 21st greatest Bulgarian of all time" (I am not sure I would be able to name any of the others on that particular list) - he is ground-breaking in his homeland for defying convention and openly challenging traditionalist norms.



This video for his song No Kazvam ti stiga apparently includes his husband (Azis had a remarkable and controversial wedding, in defiance of Bulgaria's dodgy political state) and three previous boyfriends - cosy...


The current backlash against homosexuality in Eastern Europe and the Baltic states is no joke. So if it takes an outrageous silver bear in high heels to challenge the bigots, so be it!





Azis on Wikipedia

5 comments:

  1. Yes yes, controversial, yes yes breaking down barriers, bigotry, defying convention, yes yes, but where does one get that red glitter eyebrow pencil?

    (I hate to sound superficial, but I am, so that's how it comes out).

    ReplyDelete
  2. “It is only the superficial qualities that last. Man's deeper nature is soon found out.”
    Oscar Wilde

    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for Oscar! Provides a get-out for scruff like me so often...

    ReplyDelete
  4. GaGa (only better) for Bears! I LOVE HIM!!!!! XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been listening to his music for a few years now (I tend to like a lot of music from Eastern Europe). Quite a colorful and controversial personality.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]