Friday 23 November 2012

It is the duty of every human being to make himself as attractive as possible


Symphony in Black


The Nile


Contesse de Hoffmann


Freedom and Captivity


Her Secret Admirers


Loge de Theatre


The North Sea


Queen of the Night


Top Hats, for Harpers Bazaar


Wings of Victory


Costume for Gaby Deslys


L'Ocean

In 1926, when Erté made an electrifying appearance at the Paris Opera costume ball, he was dressed in a toreador outfit of varying shades of gold lame. "That night," he recalls, "the huge cape I designed was completely lined with fresh red roses which I tossed, one by one, at my audience as I descended the grand staircase."







In his 1975 biography Things I Remember, Erte wrote: "it is the duty of every human being to make himself as attractive as possible".



“Not only do I do what I want to do, but I do my work in my own way and never have been influenced by another artist.”



Romaine de Tirtoff, known as Erté, the “Father of Art Deco” (23rd November 1892 – 21st April 1990)

Read my previous blog about Erté

More Erté designs

Erté on Wikipedia

2 comments:

  1. Apparently, not only is it the duty of every human being to make himself as attractive as possible but it's also de rigeur to know how to make an entrance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and we do try and emulate him, given the opportunity. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]