Monday 12 November 2012

They weren't hiring opera singers











"I had four or five years in school training as a soprano. I fell into pop singing because of economics. I got out of high school and had to go work, and they weren't hiring opera singers."

"I just learned my lyrics and tried not to bump into the trumpet player. That was my philosophy."

On being asked "How come you stopped singing?" She said: "For the same reason that Lana Turner doesn't pose in bathing suits anymore."

[Of her alter-ego Darlene Edwards] "She's a nice lady from Trenton, New Jersey, and she does her best - the only singer to get off the A train between A and B-flat."

Josephine Elizabeth (Jo) Stafford (12th November 1917 - 13th July 2008)

Read my tribute to the lady not long before she died.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]