Friday 12 April 2013

Miller, liked











Johnnie Lucille Collier, better known as Ann Miller (12th April 1923 – 22nd January 2004)

Facts about Ann Miller:
  • She was "discovered" by Lucille Ball and talent scout/comic Benny Rubin, aged just 13.
  • As a child she had rickets, and dancing was seen as good therapy for the condition.
  • Miss Miller is credited with popularising the wearing of tights (pantyhose).
  • It was claimed that she could tap 500 times per minute, but the sound was in fact looped in later.
  • Her first (credited) screen role was in New Faces of 1937, and her last was in the David Lynch movie Mulholland Drive in 2001.
Read our previous entry for Miss Miller

2 comments:

  1. Pauline Kael referred to her style as "tik tok tapping." It was not a compliment, but I love her, especially Too Darn Hot from Kiss Me Kate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favorite quotes about her was "she tapped her brains out", but I agree, hers was the most breathtaking of talents since Eleanor Powell... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]