Wednesday 16 March 2016

How would that look in lights?









"Joan Crawford is a movie queen. I had never met one before. I know now what I don't want to be."

"I cannot sustain hate for longer than a couple of years."

"I have always had a lot more trouble with my truths than with my deceits."

"It is a remarkably beautiful piece of home furnishing, the Oscar. I used to keep it up in front of a mirror so that it looked like two."

"My name is real, which probably explains why I never became a superstar... how would that look in lights?"


Today's centenarian, the multi-talented (and impossible-to-deal-with, by repute) Mercedes McCambridge.

Facts:
  • Orson Welles called her "the world's greatest living radio actress."
  • For her very first Hollywood film All the King's Men, she won the 1949 Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress.
  • She gained a huge following as a "lesbian icon" after portraying the vindictive "Emma" in Johnny Guitar.
  • Most surprisingly, Miss Mercedes provided the voice of the demon "Pazuzu" in The Exorcist .
  • After years of recovery from alcohol abuse, she became president of Alcoholics Anonymous.
  • She suffered tragedy when her son was exposed as an embezzler, then went on to murder his own family before killing himself.

Charlotte Mercedes Agnes McCambridge (16th March 1916 – 2nd March 2004)

2 comments:

  1. Johnny Guitar is one of the oddest movies I love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's camper than a camp thing - all that simmering lesbianism, and Miss Lee's marvellous title song [which we were gobsmacked to hear as part of the repertoire of the ululating "house band" in the Etap hotel in Luxor; but that'd a different story altogether] to boot! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]